Thursday, July 21, 2005

I'm Some Weird Chick

I feel like I’m this super difficult friend. Over the past 2 months, I’ve drifted away from two of my really good friends.

One of them, I’ve been friends with for 9 years. She has a hard exterior, and I defended that exterior many times over the years. For a while now, however, I couldn’t do anything right with her. If we went to bars, I always left too early… or the bar was too smokey… or her type of guy wasn’t there. I ended up feeling guilty half the time or stressed that she wouldn't have a good time when we went out. Also, she’d sometimes just be straight out mean to me… like tell me not to talk to certain people… or to not do this or that. I know a lot of what she did was to look out for my best interests, and that’s also why we remained friends for a while. Now, my frustration has built up for so long that we just kinda’ stopped calling each other.

Another friend, I don’t really even know what happened with. She lives the closest to me, but I see her the least out of all my friends. When I call her, I get this vibe that she’s just doing her own thing. I think she has a tendency to close herself off when she has a boyfriend. And that was fine for a while. Then, she’d call me only when she had emergencies with him, but never really to find out how I’m doing or to hang out... or if something good was happening for me, I always kinda felt like she didn't want to know. Then it was always, “let’s hang out” but no real follow through. Then, she’d call me late at night from a bar with her boyfriend and wonder why I couldn’t drop what I was doing to hang out. Could we ever do something just the girls? I know she’d consider me one of her good friends and me the same, but in some ways, I just kind of gave up. I just kind of felt like the friendship became one sided… me there for her, and not necessarily having her there for me. These feelings came to fruition recently when she didn’t make it out for my birthday. She had rehearsal and what was meeting up at 8:30-9, turned into 10:30 – 11 when I had already gone home. I totally understand you want to grab a bite to eat, but we live in cheap fast eat central…. And she said she’d be there. Then she went to dinner with her boyfriend… that she lives with. I feel like I make a concerted effort to go to the things that are important to her, and I know she knows this… but when something (one thing) is important to me, she wasn’t there. She’s a great individual with a lot to offer, but I’m just feeling like it’s no longer offered to me… and I’m not certain how to address this. I really do care about her and am clearly affected by her, but I really really have no idea what to do.

I probably expect way too much from people… I feel like it’s some fault of my own that I’m unable to make these friendships successful. I also think way too much about it. And I do know that I have many successful friendships, but these ones are sticking with me right now.

I feel like I’m some weird chick who doesn’t have all her shit together…and has “issues”… I hate “issues” fuck those… everyone’s fucking weird and has altercations with friends, right? Oh well, who the fuck cares… I try and I’m trying…I fuck up all the time… everyone does. That’s life… we’re just all trying to make our way. Blah.

4 Comments:

At 1:16 PM, Blogger chicajato said...

oh don't get me started on losing that connection with friends. I have had THE hardest times admitting that I am no longer friends with some chick I knew since Kingergarten. it is just damn tough and it kills me but people change, esp when there is a man involved, and I can't keep hoping that things could get better. Nothing wrong with change - and we all grow and find those people that truly do grow with us.

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger jen said...

I don't know how long your friend and her boyfriend have been dating and living together, but I think it's normal for all of us to be selfish and ignore close friendships when we're in the state of 'oh my god i am so in love, i just need to spend ever second of the day' infatuation in a relationship. It sucks, it's unfair, but I think most of us find our ways back to friendships when we realize how much we need and miss them. Point in case? Yours truly.

 
At 3:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's so hard to accept that friendships might not always be there. Someone said to me that people are in your life for a reason and sometimes their purpose for being there is no longer needed. Friendships definitely ebb and flow and hopefully you can take comfort in the ones that are really good for you right now and hopefully, in time, these other two ladies will come back.
I've been going through something very similar with someone who had been my closest, bestest friend since about 6th grade. Now we're kind of drifting and you know what? It's ok for now. We can't force it and we just have to do what we can and see what comes in time.
You don't be the one that gets let down all the time ya know? Hopefully you can set the expectations to very little or none at all and find some peace with the situations. Good luck my dear!
Lynz

 
At 10:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are a GREAT friend and amazing person and deserve that back from your friendships, so don't beat yourself up for wanting to move on from anything less.
xoxo and miss you, Linz

 

Post a Comment

<< Home