Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Did I Beckon His Voice?

And of course, last night I got a phone call… a phone call that I’d been waiting for, for one full year. My first love. A very strong love, but not love how I imagined. A love where I thought he knew me better than anyone in the world. Sometimes I think he still does.

I’ve referred to him as Mr. Lost His Mind Christian, but that was when I was very bitter at his sudden change in religious beliefs. He hasn’t lost his mind. In fact, it’s a very good thing for him. He struggled with sadness much more intensely and for far longer than I.

Last week, my friend BFF (my new roommie!) told me about a CD a guy made her before she went on a trip. The CD was of course a message to her. After hearing this, I decided to pull out a CD that Mr. Lost His Mind Christian had made for me before I left for the Peace Corps. A message to me.

The songs were all about hurting him because I had left… how I took his heart and what was he supposed to do now.I didn’t cry when I listened to it. Single tears slowly trickled from the corners of my eyes, but it wasn’t crying.

He wasn’t happy that I’d left, but I had to… I was young. I needed to explore and save the world. But he thought our love would make me stay. And because I left… because I decided to become that “whole” “fulfilled” and “experienced” woman… because I left, I lost him forever.

Sure he came to visit me in Ukraine and things were wonderful… but that snowy evening in Kiev, I stood on the train platform. I could see my breath. I stood by his train window. He opened it and reached out. I remember the look on his face. Although he was going back to friends, people all around him, and I was going back to my village where I knew no one, we both knew that we’d feel so alone. The train began to move. He held his hand out until I couldn’t see him anymore. (yes, completely fucking cheesey, but I will always feel cold on my nose from that moment)

Things were never the same after that. I returned, and we tried to make it work, but the things he did while I was away caused irreparable damage.

Maybe I left though because I knew it wasn’t quite right. I did always feel like he loved me more. Is it possible though for two people to love one another equally? Both times I was in love, I knew they loved me more. Perhaps that sounds callous, but I knew they loved me more because they could never live up to what I thought and still think love should be like. They loved me more because they were realistic. I had expectations of them that they could never fulfill.

For those of you who know Mr. Lost His Mind Christian, he is now married, and his wife is pregnant. He hopes to have several children.


TO ADDRESS COMMENTS ON MY LAST POST:

First off, thank you, beautiful things were said… I am a very independent woman. Like I mentioned, I engage myself with things and people that I love. I am extremely pleased with the person that I am. I am very proud of myself in so many ways. I am happy with the convictions by which I live. I am happy with how I treat others. I am happy of my work ethic. I am happy with the chances I’ve taken, the will that I have, the love in which my heart is capable. I am happy that I’m doing the best I can. I’m certainly not unscathed by depression, but I fight it. I’m committed to fighting it. I don’t need a partner to be happy… I need a partner to complete me. Does that make sense?

Ah, another comment just came in... I don't know if it's a matter of our day and age or what it is, but I not so secretly believe in true love. I want to. I have to. But maybe you're right, maybe it just doesn't exist. It's like Miracle on 34th Street where in a court of law they're trying to prove the existence of Santa. I'm trying to prove the existence of true love.

CHEESEY LOVE QUOTES - YES, YOU CAN GAG!!!

"I love her and that's the beginning of everything." --F. Scott Fitzgerald (this gives me the fucking chills, in a good way)

“Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” -- Rumi

"Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies." --Aristotle (cliched, but this sums up the ridiculous romantic idea I have of love)

"So dear I love him that with him, All deaths I could endure. Without him, live no life."
-- William Shakespeare (love, death, life, pain, love, the cure)

3 Comments:

At 12:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - so he called! What did you two talk about? I would love to hear more details of your conversation...

I hope you know that with my comment yesterday that I was in no way in challenging your character or choices or anything. I think you are a wonderful and amazing woman - one of the best I've known. I hope you know I was just saying something more towards how it can never hurt to love ourselves more and feel that we're more - or as - complete as possible on our own - ya know?

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger MissCurious said...

no, i didn't think you were challenging my character... i was merely saying that i know those things - i give that advice to everyone... for people to find what makes them happy on their own... but that's the key - to be happy... i am happy (as i can be), but there's still that itty-bitty thing missing... that romantic idea of someone. do i feel entirely complete not having that signficant someone? no.

i know i don't NEED someone... i'll never settle to just be with someone... i can certainly be on my own, no problem, but i just LOVE the idea of a soulmate (i hate that term, but it sums it up) --- that my match and i uniting will make our world harmonious or some shit like that... a silly idea. and when will anyone ever be completely whole? i don't know one person... no offense to anyone i know, but we all want it... we all talk about it incessantly. it's forever hanging over us.

and i don't have many examples, if any, of the kind of love in which i dream. it seems so bleak. i feel like a lot of people do settle because they're comfortable or they hate being alone or this or that... i'm NOT that person. this is the the only thing i can hold onto for why i might find it where others have failed -- that i will never settle for anything less than greatness... i can wait. i'll wait for him.

and again, should it not happen... yes, i'll be sad... but i'd rather live a life with the lovely ME than to feel like i've spent it always knowing it wasn't with the right person.

 
At 11:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So do you remember me asking the question - where is the line between settling and compromising? I don't feel like I'm settling with who I'm with now but I am certainly compromising because the situation isn't exactly ideal.

Do you feel - in your mind and in your heart - that it has to or should be 100% "perfect"? I don't know if I am even articulating this correctly. But the idea of being with that soulmate - like everything will fit perfectly - is that more along the lines of your thinking?

You are totally right that we all think about it and want it. We can be happy on our own but if we are built the way most humans are built, we'll always have that longing for someone special - the one someone special that just fits.

I couldn't agree more about spending a life with someone who isn't the right person. Life is too short and too much fun to have to be with someone who doesn't fit. I know that's why I couldn't stay married and I know that's why I am with the person I'm with now. We just fit. And it can happen and it can be totally unexpected. I guess the reason I ask about the whole "perfect" thing (and perfect isn't exactly the word I'm looking for) is that it never really can be perfect or whatever. I just say that so that we can all have an open hear and open mind to when that someone might pop up out of the most bizarre or non-ideal situation...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home