Wednesday, June 06, 2007

So Much Is Just Luck

It's been a hard thing to admit to myself, but I'm finally saying outloud that I need a new job. Right now I absolutely love my co-workers, and I respect my bosses. Loving the people with whom one works, is so hard to find. I've been afraid of leaving that behind and taking the chance that I just may detest any new co-workers.

You see, my current job has never defined me. I took this job because the things that I thought would define me and I'd be passionate about, turned out to totally suck ass.

From those jobs, I realized that it was more important to find people with whom I enjoyed spending the majority of my waking hours than to have a job in a field that I was excited about, but disliked the people.

Now I'm asking myself - can I find a job that's both? A job that I am passionate about and also enjoy the people and how I spend my waking hours?

Of course the field I'm most excited about is overpopulated - in high demand - super competitive... I pretty much have only one connection... a person I'll see in a couple of weeks... and the rest is luck. Luck.

A little determination. A connection. And an uber-shitload of luck.


And oh, I decided for sure against grad school in psychology... conflict of interest was too great.

3 Comments:

At 2:01 PM, Blogger jen said...

What type of job are you interested in? Let us all know- you might find that one of us has that connection to get your foot in the door...

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger MissCurious said...

J-DO, well, my dream job is working as a music promoter... not music promoter in the way I thought it'd be... I know a guy who works for a label (representing SF) and organizes cd signings, meet and greets, cd release parties, dvd release parties... so any of the NIN releases I've gotten VIP passes to were because of my connection w/ him... he also has accounts like bookstores or music stores where he visits to insure the new cd release displays are up... essentially, organizing all the lil' factors that go into the release of his label's cds.

I dunno' anything music related sounds amazing to me ;-)... but then, it sounds amazing to a whole lot of people, so the likelihood of getting something in the field isn't that great.

but sure, if anyone should know anyone in San Francisco who has something music related whether it be for places like Live Nation or Another Planet Entertainment, etc... I'd be forever idebted!

And oh, option B - something that's NOT 9 to 5 ;-)... any suggestions in NON-nine-to-five jobs that make a relatively okay living?!??!?!

Universe step in please ;-) hahahaha!

 
At 8:23 PM, Blogger chicajato said...

sad about grad school - you have to give me the scoop. Oh and I loved catching up on your week - and now I am going to see you and ask you even more!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home