Monday, January 14, 2008

The One Week Rule

fick·le / Show Spelled Pronunciation[fik-uhl] Pronunciation Key – adjective

1. likely to change, esp. due to caprice, irresolution, or instability; casually changeable

2. Miss Curious

Yes, I define the word Fickle. I have capricious tendencies.

I have already deleted my online dating profile. One week has been my staying power for this kind of thing. But - But - But, it wasn't without giving it a genuine 1 week try, haha.

You see, I met Mr. Sober (thank you Elwood for the name). We talked on the phone a few nights before finally deciding to meet, last night. He was attractive and nice and the conversation flowed easily. However, there lacked a certain chemistry.

Of course I made out with him anyway because I have dude tendencies. Things didn't go very far in the sack as I realized that things could never be. I want someone who can come over and have drinks with friends while we play board games until I get too tipsy to remember what color chip I am, but still win anyway.

However, knowing that he didn't drink, I still invited him over. I was still somewhat open to the prospect. There was an extra something that was missing for me to want to further explore him as an option. I do believe there were things that he needed to work out in his life. As nice as he was and as nice as our evening was, he wasn't quite right. Came on a little too strong - maybe a red flag here and there... perhaps I would have overlooked some of these things if he lived in the city or did drink or whatever... but, here I am today, and I know that it's not going to work.

I sent him an email this morning explaining all of this. He responded a moment ago asking if he could change my mind. Really though, I can't imagine being in a relationship where we could never have a drink together or a smoke together. But again, that's not the only thing. Not at all.

He is such a nice guy, and I feel so badly this morning. But, I do feel confident in my decision.

I then removed myself from the online dating site. I can't do it. I've met guys from MySpace, but it's never been right. I never felt chemistry with any of them despite being almost perfect on paper. For some reason, online isn't my thing.

So, I'll have to wait for that conventional way of meeting a "mate." Haha.

It's okay. I feel this is right.


JOB:

Tomorrow is my last day at my current job. It's starting to feel real. I can't stress enough how important these people have been to me. They are my San Francisco family, and I'm leaving the nest. There's a heavy weight on my mind. Very heavy.

My iTunes playlist is forlorn. It's been making me pause and stare at my lava-lamp that a co-worker has already claimed. You know when people say they're "all choked up"? I feel that right now. All choked-up.

I remember coming here for my first interview. The stormy weather. The umbrella that broke and the hot chocolate that spilled on my skirt.

Waiting in the waiting room and seeing employees use the restroom. Wondering if I'd soon know them. I did.

I know I'm being ridiculously nostalgic, but I get close to people. Very close. I know I'll remain in touch with my good friends, but it won't be the same.

Anyway, I'll always have fond memories... and I'm making a good move.

9 Comments:

At 1:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I object to the use of the word sober to describe someone who never imbibes. I consider myself sober. That is not to say that I wasn't drunk last night, which I was. I'm sober now and that's all that matters. Please use the word teetotaler from now on. Thank you.

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger MissCurious said...

I apologize if it's offended you, but the word "sober" is how many individuals I know who have stopped drinking and using drugs all together have described their status.

I am going to maintain my use of the word.

Thank you for your input.

 
At 2:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How could you not describe someone who doesn't drink as "sober" - that's how they describe themself. I wouldn't say I'm "sober" unless I was talking about right this current moment - am I drunk or sober right now? But I don't live my life as a sober person.
I'm hoping that comment was meant to be kind of funny...?

 
At 2:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous, lighten up. No one who's no longer drinking or doing drugs refers to themselves as a teetotaler.. unless of course they were around when the only place to get a drink was at a speakeasy in ye olden times. Sober is a convenient way of saying no longer drinking, drugging, etc. It's far less socially awkward for everyone to say "sober".

 
At 8:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn, it was a joke! Sorry!

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger jen said...

ha ha! I think anonymous was making a joke! :)

I too, am currently sober. Until 6 pm tonight, at which point I will have a glass of wine! :)

On another topic, you still haven't mentioned what your new job will be, have you?

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger MissCurious said...

Green Eyes suggested it may be a joke, but I know for some the sober thing is a touchy subject, so I didn't want to be presumptuous.

What I really wanted to reply was a huge "fuck you", but I decided to go for the more diplomatic approach.

I'm glad you told me it was a joke 'cuz I was all offended!!!

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger chicajato said...

I want to hear about the new job!!!!!

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger Leigh said...

yo miss curious! what's new??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home