Wednesday, December 12, 2007

The Cyber-Stalk

Can I possibly be this pathetic? I say this again and again - sometimes I simply can’t stand myself. Sometimes I genuinely pull a Mcauley Culkin in Home Alone when he slaps both hands on his cheeks, and his eyes immediately widen, and a loud shriek escapes from his lips. Unfortunately, my reasons aren’t because I’ve just shaved and am putting cologne on for the first time.

My reasons are far, far worse than a sudden sting.

I know I shouldn’t be professing the happenings in the deep dark corners of MiSS CuriouS’s mind, but this is my release. This is me proclaiming my most ridiculous moments… saying yes, yes this is who I am. I’m admitting these things to myself.

I’m doing the best I can to be relatively normal.

Anyway, on with it. With the explosion of cyberspace, we all invariably lurk into the lives of others. When we’re dating someone a Google, MySpace, and Facebook search seems to be pretty common, no? Well, on occasion, I’ve checked out Bam’s MySpace page just to see what he’s up to. To see whether or not his status has suddenly changed to “In A Relationship”.

I recently checked only to find that I had been removed from his first page, top 12 or however many. This is of course understandable. We did break-up ages ago, and I did very immaturely end our friendship. And oh, sometimes when I find myself taking that little peak at his page, my eyes go a’ gander down to the comments section.

I looked today and saw that some stupid blond chick (no offense against blonds, a remark only fueled by unwarranted jealousy), who’s all into photography and seems to have done all these great fucking things is now “New” and is commenting on his page. If you didn’t catch it, I clearly looked at her page too = MORE PSYCHO OF ME. He commented on hers too. It’s all this flirty fucking banter, and I for whatever reason can’t stand it.

Shriek.

I mean, geez, we ended things ages ago. We ended things twice as long ago as our relationship even lasted. We ended our friendship 1 month ago. Why do I even fucking care? I didn’t think I cared, but I reacted unbelievably strong. I surprised my own-damn-self.

Of course I’m now thinking (well, maybe not ‘of course’ to others), when we first started hanging out, it was me that he MySpaced right away. It was me that he requested as a friend right away. And now, there, in front of my own presumption eyes, I developed their entire relationship. I can’t stand that she’s now getting all the happy moments that I once got.

But really, why do I care?

THREE POSSIBLE REASONS:

1
. He’s the last person I was with, and with no one else to take my mind off things, I still wonder about him… but not because I really want him?

2. I’m pissed because he found someone before I did, and he was the one that fucked me over even though I “officially” broke up with him the second time. Why is he all rewarded with the cloud 9 that comes with the onset of courtship?

3. This 3rd one I just can’t figure out – is it because I still really do like him? Do I still think that he has the most qualities I’ve ever wanted in a man and think that I’ll never find someone as close as he is to my ideal?

So why? Why am I writhing? Why did I just put my hands back on both cheeks, rest my elbows on my desktop, and stare down at the cheap-ass-fake-brown called my desk?

Why do I care!??!?!?! Why? Why? Why? It’s ridiculous!!! I couldn’t be more stunned at my reaction…. Okay, well, that’s kind of lie… kinda’ not.

What’s the natural way of handling this if you’re PSYCHOTIC?

Answer:

Delete him as a friend on MySpace. (like he’ll ever notice, but a Digital Delete is cathartic)

12 Comments:

At 5:58 PM, Blogger jen said...

You're not pyschotic. You're female. Or perhaps they are one and the same, but the point is that we all do shit like that. Don't beat yourself up over it.

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger jen said...

sorry, "psychotic". I can't stand when I make stupid spelling errors like that.

 
At 6:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always feel after a break up it's best to cut all contact. Gives the wounds time to heal over a bit. removing him from your friends list makes it harder to stalk him and gives you more of a chance to stop that impulse to just click on his page.

 
At 6:26 PM, Blogger patrick said...

sorry wasn't supposed to be anonymous

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger Leigh said...

Ok, keep in mind that I spent the last 10 hours writing an essay on the relationship between secular legal traditions and religious legal traditions, so I’m probably not the best judge of sanity right now...

But you are totally normal. Everyone cyber-stalks. All girls do it and some guys too. Totally in line with the standard of behavior of our generation. The questions is thus: is the standard itself negligent? I mean normal. ahhhh

 
At 7:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm a dude, and you're not unusually psychotic. i'd probably do the same thing, although i just wouldn't over analyze it, e-stalking is just something people do these days.

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger MissCurious said...

More psychotic'ness: BAM and STUPID-NEW-BLOND-CHICK really have EVERYTHING in common. She has these friends that always comment all these fucking nice things, so she must be all sweet and shit. WHY THE HELL AM I SO JEALOUS?

Intimacy - You're completely right. It's good that I Digital Deleted him. It was too easy to just click on his lil' page whenever my surreptious-little-self wanted.

Leigh the DFMer - We just can't help ourselves... can we? Knowing that it's there... that we can find out all these things about them - boys - girls - ex-friends. Do we just not look?

Dude - It's relieving to hear that guys do it too. I always wonder about that kind of thing.

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger MissCurious said...

Here's the thing about BAM - I always felt that we'd see each other again because of our mutual friend... however, about a month ago, Mutual Friend started getting pissed at BAM for the same reasons I was. BAM has friends on his terms and his time.

With the Digital Delete and the friendship of the supposed Best Friends (BAM & Mutual Friend) swiftly deteriorating, it seems that BAM truly can be DELETED FROM MY LIFE ALL TOGETHER.

Mutual Friend will no longer be talking about him. His name won't come up.

And that's it... it's like BAM never even existed. This is what I must do.

I'm still kinda' stunned that I was so affected. I need to stop analyzing why I care about him still... and I MUST MOVE THE FUCK ON!!!

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger Krikri said...

You know I do this EXACT thing and have blogged about it as well. You are NORMAL!!! Whereas in the past ladies just had to sit and stew and imagine what "he" was doing, now with a few clicks we can either know every detail or at least get just enough information to make us jealous out of our minds. I will look at this blonde floozy and tell you what I think of her. I guarantee you she is not as AWESOME and sexy and beautiful as Miss Curious!!!!!

 
At 3:16 PM, Blogger Privates Investigator said...

"about a month ago, Mutual Friend started getting pissed at BAM for the same reasons I was. BAM has friends on his terms and his time."

I found this interesting. I think people like this can create intrigue, and they are fun because they are so "in the moment" or whatever, but there is a certain lack of respect or something that goes along with this attitude. Anyway, this behaviour sounds familiar to me, and it can be aggravating to say the least.

 
At 4:03 PM, Blogger MissCurious said...

P.I. - You're totally right... however, in this case, I think it's just because he's ALWAYS BAKED and forgets he has to be somewhere.

I'm certainly not kidding when I say this is most likely the case.

Haha! It kinda' cracks me up.

Of course there's always more to it...

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger Privates Investigator said...

Hahahaha! Yeah that'll do it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home