Thursday, November 15, 2007

Touching Texts

Do guys text each other? For some reason, I don’t see texting as a guy thing. I can understand texting updates on games / scores, etc, but as a form of communication, I don’t see it.

When I see a guy texting on a bus or at a bar or wherever, I automatically assume he’s texting a chick. Chick’s are into texting. I love seeing a guy grin when he reads a text. The chick who’s texting him is on one end, and there I am, staring at some strange dude on the bus, who’s receiving her text. I get to see his reaction. I get to see him light up at the sight of her words. I also get to see him text back and then continuously check to see if she’s texted back yet.

On another note, I always have a hard time grasping that a guy is thinking about me when I’m not there. It’s a strange concept to be in someone’s thoughts. When a guy I haven’t spoken to in a while calls or emails me, I wonder what it was that made him think about me. I wonder how the conversation went in his head where he felt compelled to take action and call me.

I know I said I was going to write him off my blog, but today, I’m thinking about him. About Bam. I dramatically ended my friendship with him. Did I mention that? This one evening we set up a phone date because I had some questions for him. He didn’t pick up the phone and didn’t call me back.

I knew the next morning I was going to get an email with him apologizing for not being around and why he wasn’t around. That’s what he always does. And there, in my inbox was that email. I realized that our “friendship” was based on his time and his terms. He could always reach me, but I could never reach him. Doesn’t Mr. Big say that in Sex and the City? I don’t have caller ID at work, so he’d get me at work. Grr!!! I desperately wanted him to call me just so I could look at the phone and NOT pick-up. How ridiculous is that? I then wanted to be the person the next morning who apologized for not being around and giving him some lame-ass excuse like, “I was shaving my legs and couldn’t get to the phone. After that, it took me a really long time to lotion them up, and I was exhausted, so I hit the sack.”

‘Cuz really, that’s the bullshit he’d feed me.

I then sent him this vitriolic email with no punctuation because I was ranting and not breathing. I ended it with saying, “I’m over this.”

His rebuttal was in a pleasant pissed tone to which I simply replied, “whatever Bam.”

Needless to say, things didn’t end well. A few days later he emailed me about my parents in SoCal to make sure they were okay. It was sweet, and I thanked him.

But whatever, our friendship is totally over and over in a completely immature way thanks to me.

Today, however, I miss him. Today, I wish he were thinking about me. I wish that he didn’t have enough will power to stop him from emailing or calling or texting me.

If a friend were in my shoes, wishing her dude would call, the advice I’d give her was to move on… that the only reason she still thinks about him is that there’s no one else. If she had another prospect, she wouldn’t think twice about him.

So I wonder, is it because there isn’t anyone else that I still think about him? How can one tell?

The other day I went through some of my archives, and I re-read a post about the first night he slept over. I commented on the fact that he kissed my shoulder when he thought I was asleep. Then I started thinking about things he’d say… things he’d text… people who know me can probably hear this tone when I say, “who says that?” In a very good way. No one’s ever said some of the amazing – okay here’s a cheesy word, but it fits – “touching.” The things he’d say were “touching.”

Sheesh. Why am I thinking about him today? Why? What made me think of him?

Oh wait. Texting. He used to send me the cutest texts that I’d read over and over. I liked picturing the look on his face as he was writing them. I hoped he was smiling.

11 Comments:

At 12:55 PM, Blogger jen said...

This isn't really related to Bam, but I just wanted to tell you that you are a really gifted writer. As you consider changing jobs/careers, you should keep your writing strengths in mind.

 
At 2:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so are you PMS'ing at all? Just wondering b/c there were times and still are that I would think about someone from my past and get a little sentimental if you will. And most of those times, it was when I was PMS'ing.
I hate to say this - but I feel like it so true: the best way to get over someone is with someone else. Doesn't that sound awful? But so many times it just works out that way and you can get some distance and see the things that just would never work and why and all that.
It's ok to still think about him. I like appreciating the good things that people have brought to my life and feel lucky that I got to experience those. :)

 
At 11:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm a guy, i text other guys. most of my friends have crackberrys or treos so it's pretty easy.

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger MissCurious said...

J-Do: Thanks for the compliment. It's funny to hear you say that because my writing here is such a rant... and anything I can do a gazillion people can do it so much better. Hahaha. Gotta' put my negative spin on it :-)

Green Eyes: I could be PMSing, good call. And I do always say that same thing - that we always think about the last person we were with until we find a new person. I love your last line of your comment the "I like appreciating the good things..." well said!

Anonymous: Thank you so much for chiming in. I really do wonder if guys text each other. So, I don't have to presume they're talkin' to the ladiessss. ;-)

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger Krikri said...

I mainly see my guy friends sending and receiving texts when we're out watching Cal games - and they're mostly along the lines of "Cal sucks," "you are gay," etc. Damn I love boys.

 
At 12:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

glad to help, and krikri is very accurate in her observation of what guys text to each other. remember, put enough guys together and the maturity level drops rapidly.

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger jen said...

Well, exactly. If you write this well when you are just ranting, think of the possibilities if you were really focused...

I agree that the man on man texting is of the "you are gay" maturity level.

I don't like texting because I still have a fundamental problem with the bastardization of the English language, e.g. "U R Gay. ROTFLMAO"

The worst for me is "LOL".

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger MissCurious said...

KriKri - that's what I'm sayin' just scores on games and sport related shit... wow, men and women are so different.

I don't know why we always expect them to talk about their emotions and know what we want... they text "you're gay - and cal sucks" what do we expect?!?!

Hahaha!

Anonymous - we need guy input a lot more in here... thanks for the words!

 
At 4:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with j-do about the mutilation of grammar and punctuation.

It's why (as a guy who's just a tad bit older than your generation) I have no patience for texting or instant messaging.

I love the format of emails for expressing myself to my sweetie, but we're old-school - we still write cards and letters to each other by hand. I also like being able to leave voice mail love letters on occasion.

Just an old-fashioned guy who can't login to my account since Google acquired Blogger,
Chris

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger MissCurious said...

Chris -

Handwritten letters... now that's a beautiful thing. Hmm. Next time I get a boyfriend, which will hopefully happen again in my life (haha!), I'm going to write him a letter.

For me, whether it be a text, email, or letter, having communication of the written word is sweet. People always seem to be a bit more candid with their feelings when writing. They're more likely to text, "I've been missing you all day," than they are to say it. And I'm certainly happy with that! :-)

 
At 2:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guys totally text each other.

Thats my 2 cents.

Amber

 

Post a Comment

<< Home