Monday, November 07, 2005

Don't Fuck with MySpace

Part of me felt relieved. Part of me felt humiliated. The MySpace date never showed up. Walking to the bar, I scanned the nearby sidewalks hoping to catch a glimpse of this mystery man or to see if he was doing the same. I walked into the bar. It was empty. He wasn’t late yet, so I got a vodka tonic and hid in the corner. I perked up at every person who walked in hopes that it were him and this nervous anticipation would end. But he never came. I went to the film screening anyway, but I sat there amidst a sold out audience feeling like such a fool.

And then I wondered why I had been in such a rush to start dating. And I remembered how many times I’ve felt like a fool and how many times I’ve probably made others feel like a fool. And I remembered waiting two hours for The Brother the week before and how silly I felt then. And how I watched Bridget Jones this weekend, and she didn’t need guys, “to make [her] feel like a complete idiot…. [she] already feels like an idiot most of the time anyway.”

So this morning I came into the office and decided that I would write a curt-unpsycho email to say that I hadn’t appreciated his actions and that there were so many other ways he could have gotten out of the date if he’d wanted to. He had my number, and I didn’t have his.

Last week he asked when I could grab drinks… I mentioned the documentary on Sunday and that I was available Tuesday or Thursday of this week. He then asked if he could join me on Sunday as his friend was coming into town on Monday & Tuesday.

Waiting in my In-Box as of Saturday early afternoon was an email from him. His friend was coming into town on Sunday evening instead of Monday. He asked if I was still available on Thursday because he’d like to go out then.

I’m not mature enough to let this miscommunication go, so I emailed him back and said that I’d just made plans for Thursday. I didn’t suggest another time. I didn’t ask any questions. I didn’t or don’t want an email back, and I think my tone suggested so. I just took last night as a sign from our Fucked the Fuck Up’d God that this was just not going to happen. It was a reminder to chill the Fuck out.

And to my fellow circle of women who’ll be going on 2 dates before the end of the year. That was one down – one to go for Miss Curious… because ‘sorta’ getting stood up was still putting myself out on the line. That's that.

NEW NEWS:

I POSTED THE ABOVE A LITTLE WHILE AGO... SINCE THEN, HE SENT ME THE EMAIL BELOW... I'M STILL VERY HESITANT TO GO... AND, HE GOT STOOD UP? THAT PROBABLY MEANS HE DOES THIS THING A LOT AND IS DESPERATE... I MEAN, I'M A VIRGIN AT THIS!!! WHAT SHOULD I DO?!?! SAY YES - NO?


i'm so sorry. i hadn't heard back from you, so i was wondering if
you had gotten my email. i actually got stood up last week. so, i
know how you feel, for real.
my friend is in town until tomorrow, so after that i'm fairly open.
sorry about that last night. i hope the movie was good. let me know
when is good for you...
-jon


4 Comments:

At 3:17 PM, Blogger Jackie O. said...

I say no to the second chance.

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger oakland heidi said...

Don't go out with this guy. You seem really cool and smart from your blog, don't waste your time on myspace losers.

Online dating is just no good... and ESPECIALLY myspace dating.

I vote NO.

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger kellyd said...

Hrrmmmm... well, what I know about myspace dating is that generally people see a number of people from myspace. It's not like match.com or something where you're looking for a 'relationship' ... so if that skeeves you out don't go. Actually, don't go - it seems too complicated now. MySpace is filled with men - go out with someone else.

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger chicajato said...

damn girl you have a following!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home