Tuesday, March 07, 2006

But Still.

Finding a significant other is truly like winning the lottery. It’s largely a matter of luck. You can buy more tickets to try and increase your odds, but even still, someone who just buys one, can win.

If you really think about it, and as you know, I really think about most things… it’s a miracle that people find true love. All the stars must align:

Should you see someone at a bar or a party, you have to have the courage to actually talk to him… and then when you do, he could be a total dumbass or taken. But say like, you actually do talk and you actually do get a number at the end of the night, then someone has to take the initiative… then you have to “get to know each other.” And you can only hope that you actually like each other. And both people have to be in the right “headspace” on top of everything.

I mean… I can go on and on.

But some people… yes, just some people get seated next to an intelligent, witty, relatively attractive, stylin’, and single young man on an 8-hour plane ride. Some people move-in next door to the man of their dreams… or have class with him and are made partners by the professor… or seated next to him for an hour at the DMV, and he just happens to be the person for her.

I mean… c’mon… that’s luck. Most stories are luck.

Even online dating is luck. Online we prescreen guys… we know they’re single, spiritual not religious, smoke or don’t smoke, etc… but still, when you meet in person, the chemistry is often not there… or another star is out of place.

Aw. It’s just a wonder.

I feel so lucky in life…lucky with the things I didn’t have a choice about… like being born into my family… with the siblings that I have… or having all my fingers and toes… and being relatively intelligent, etc.

Why should I have love too? How can I not feel guilty about having so much luck in my life? Instead, I carry the weight of the world on my shoulders… I think of things on the grand scale… of people in so many other countries with no food or water or love or legs… and how dare I ever want love too?

So, I try not to.

The Brother:

We haven’t discussed The Brother in some time… on occasion, we MySpace message one another, and I just happened to notice that his relationship status has changed to: In a Relationship.

I know I initiated the break-up, and I know I’d never want to be back together, but still --- it still stings just a bit knowing that he’s moved on completely… it stings knowing that he lucked out so quickly… it stings, just a tad. And I know who she is. She works next door with him. And I say mean things under my breath about her. And I know how completely ridiculous and insecure that is. But still.

7 Comments:

At 7:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what brought this on?

 
At 8:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so The Brother is not the same Jesus-out-of-his mind dude?

 
At 6:59 AM, Blogger kellyd said...

I just saw this on Sex and the City - timing is everything. This is true, although it does INFURIATE me when guys tell me "I really like you but the timing is bad" (guys tell me that a LOT). I always get mad at the time, but then I look back, and realize that they were right.

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger MissCurious said...

ANONYMOUS - what brought this on? i had a conversation w/ an old friend who really wants to meet someone... and i don't really know what to tell her... so much of it is chance... and i wanted to tell her that she'll find that person 'cuz she deserves it, but then i started hanging on the whole "deserve it" idea... and realized that as far as things go, i have been lucky in life... of course, i take so much of it for granted and have depressive tendencies, i can't in anyway justify me really "deserving" it... and i have a guilt complex... i feel guiltly about having my amazing family... i feel guilty about having a brain... on and on and on... and then, i certainly would feel guilty if i met the person of my dreams... but i still hope so much for her that she finds someone... actually, if only one of would have that luck, i'd prefer it to be her. wild thought. hm. (and wow, i epitomize INSANW!)

-- Little Miss Insane

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger MissCurious said...

ANONYMOUS #2 - The Brother isn't Mr. Lost His Mind (devout christian guy)... The Brother was the last guy i dated... we ended things in october'ish, but have hung out as friends for a while... in january he and i went to the movies and he told me he was coming from another movie with his now girlfriend... it just felt all weird... 'cuz you always hold a little flame for your last person... again, even though i initiated the break-up... bleh.

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger MissCurious said...

Green Eyes -- he still wanted me though, he thought we'd end up together ;) even when they started dating... he said it was hard to be around me and not want me... i kinda' liked that in an evil little way... and now his attention has been diverted elsewhere... ewww!

you're soooo right though. bleh!

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger Jackie O. said...

Just b/c he's in a relationship doesn't mean he's lucked out. It could mean he's co-dependent or desperate or willing to settle easily.

Don't be so hard on yourself. If love was so easy to come by, would we want it so bad?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home