Monday, August 08, 2005

Coincidence? Or is this Entry Long to be Long?

I’m not really a “coincidence” person. I don’t often believe that “coincidences” mean anything. But sometimes, there’s that one coincidence that makes you wonder. For example, a while ago there was this guy, let’s call him ‘El Cholo’ (‘cause that’s where the first coincidence occurred). ‘El Cholo’ lived in San Francisco, and I lived in LA. He just happened to be visiting some friends in LA, and I saw him where…. at El Cholo. We chatted, no biggy, you bump into people here and there. Next time I saw him? When Cal was in the Pac 10 tourney, they played at the Staples arena in LA… yeah, arena… huge, thousands of people…. And who is in assigned seating directly behind me? Yes, ‘El Cholo’, who still lived in SF. Then, I moved to SF, went to a concert at the Oaklend Coliseum, again, thousands of seats, who happens to be standing in front of me, yes, ‘El Cholo’.

So anyway, I finally figured out that these coincidences meant nothing. They were just coincidences.

That brings us to my most recent coincidence on Friday night. Many of you know The Brother broke up with his girlfriend to be with me. And please, you must know that I hadn’t any idea the seriousness of their relationship… he played it down, she was caught off guard, hurt and angry. Right now, I’m not a huge Angelina Jolie or Brad Pitt fan for the hurt they caused to Jennifer Aniston… but yet here I am the Angelina Jolie… but then again, Angelina knew Brad was married… The Brother’s relationship was a bit of a mystery to me.

Well, I went off on a bit of tangent there… back to the coincidence. So, The Brother’s girlfriend had always been just a name to me… It’s always easier to forget someone that has no face. In the beginning of our relationship I was a bit irked by this girlfriend thing, naturally… Because I’m some ridiculous masochist, I asked him if I could see her pictures. And, on Friday night, The Brother came over. I couldn’t decide if I wanted to eat dinner or not… the time kept passing, and before I knew it, it was 10 pm. I couldn’t fight the urge anymore and decided to get dressed and go to the nearby taqueria. I begged the sleepy-eyed Brother to come with me, but he opted out.

I ordered my dinner and patiently waited on the side with my number in hand. Suddenly a girl walked in with an uncanny resemblance to the girl in The Brother’s photos. She was by herself… she was wearing glasses. I hadn’t seen any pictures with glasses, and besides she lives in Oakland… and is she even back from the East coast? It couldn’t be her. I took a mental picture of her, so I could go back and describe this vision to The Brother. She kept looking at me or perhaps my Ronald McDonald hair. I thought I knew her at first. There was some familiarity. It really did look like her.

As soon as I walked in the door I told The Brother what I’d just seen. I said she was wearing glasses… he said she wore them on occasion and that they were the exact color I had mentioned. I also noticed she had a cute little pooch (belly that is), I’ll admit it was cute. He mentioned that was kind of a joke the two of them had. They had many conversations about her cute pooch. I also mentioned that she seemed a lot shorter. He said that she was actually 5’3”. Hm. It was her. He also mentioned that she’d be back by now, and that she had a lot of friends that lived in the Mission despite her Oakland residence and that the two of them had frequented that taqueria.

Oh. Hm. It’s just strange that my hunger struck me and her at 10 pm. That we went to the same taqueria . I was only there for at most 10 minutes to get a burrito to go. And in those ten minutes she stood beside me waiting for her to go food. Yes, she stood right beside me.

And it’s just a trip… and probably doesn’t mean anything, but it’s just strange nonetheless… makes you think… makes me sad for her…. And I can’t feel like shit about it because I didn’t know… because when he told me, I said he should figure that out and leave me alone…. And sure he figured it out the next day… when I thought it’d be months… and I do feel like shit…. Because I’ve had my heart broken, and I’m happy now at the expense of someone else… and seeing her was a just a reminder. And it sucked. But in the chain we all have our hearts broken and that’s love and that’s life…. And I have to be okay with that.

Thank God:

Thank God I’m not homeless and have to come up with stupid shit like spelling ‘beer’ with pennies on my skateboard or making a sign that says ‘spare change or just a smile, god bless’… I mean, puhleeaazzze, I’m not falling for that ‘smile’ trick… and why hasn’t god given you some change?

Advice Needed:

Sooo, 2 friends probably hate me… LaSassy for having me punk out on karaoke ‘cause I fell asleep on my bed with dirty feet and woke up when I was supposed to be there… especially since we’re bff’s…. especially since she’s at my things ‘til the bitter end. LaSassy – if you’re out there, sorry!!! Hate me over something much worse… I can definitely do worse than that.

Second friend, at LaSassy’s afternoon birthday b-b-que, my wife Midge attended. My wife knew there’d be a lot of people he wouldn’t know, but he wanted to come to support LaSassy… while we’re sitting around on blankets, my wife decides to pull her headphones out and begins to put them in her ears. I immediately whispered, “hey, this is a social event… maybe it’s not cool to put your headphones on while we’re all chit-chatting… it’s a bit rude.” She then proceeds to get pissed at me, and tells me I’m bossy. Well, true, I am bossy and a bitch sometimes, but I really did think it wasn’t cool. Putting your headphones on and shutting everyone else out is just plain inconsiderate. People who don’t know him (there were many there) can take it in many different ways. I knew all of these people, and I knew him, and I knew he didn’t mean to be rude, but it’s not the best social etiquette to do something like that. Today, she’s all mad at me saying we just don’t see eye to eye, and that I’m ridiculous and bossy because I got mad about that… Is this reasonable? I just don’t see how it’s not rude?!!?!?! So I say, don’t go to social situations that you think you’ll have to tune everyone out at… he knew what this was going to be like. Hm. I’m mad.

11 Comments:

At 12:18 PM, Blogger chicajato said...

dude - you can;t control your friends. If wifey was happy listening to headphone then let him be! you shouldn't worry about what people think right?!

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger MissCurious said...

i don't want to control my friends... i just think certain things are polite and certain things aren't... i just think putting your headphones on while you're in a small circle of people who will note your actions isn't very considerate... it shows you don't want to be a part of the conversation... he was included in the conversation... it was so out of the blue and strange to me... it's so a 'yeah, i'm not into this - i'm tuning out' kinda thing. i don't know, maybe i'm crazy for thinking it was rude, but i do... i wouldn't go to something for one of his friends that i casually knew and put my headphones on while we were sitting in some intimate circle... i just think it's common curteousy... but i guess it's not so common... 'cuz he doesn't understand it... nor does chicato seem to. so here i sit on my own lame-ass island, and i can't help but feel frustrated :(

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger MissCurious said...

i put so much pressure on myself to be a good friend and i have all these high expectations of how friends should be... i worry that i'm doing something wrong... i worry that i haven't given enough... and then if i feel like i've given a lot, i can't help but want or even expect that in return... and i'm clearly super psychotic and can't find some balance... and then i think this having friends thing seems like so much work and that i'm just so fucking bad at it that it should be illegal for me to even have friends... that's it IT SHOULD BE ILLEGAL FOR ME TO HAVE FRIENDS!!! don't they have lessons or something? i suck!

 
At 2:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you better believe in that karma shit, miss curious. it just happens and leaves you in a hole.

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger MissCurious said...

ANONYMOUS - wait though... i mean i've had my heart broken a million times... this year, w/ DV... and it kept breaking again and again w/ him... and i know The Brother has had years of heartache... and crazy shit that's had him spiraling downward.... and he didn't casually toss her aside... they were heading to the end... and this is how things go... anytime we enter a relationship we know that one person can end it at anytime - that's why it's amazing when it works - and when it doesn't, as it's said, one experiences a real heart 'ache'... as cheesey as that sounds.
and when is there the perfect situation / scenario for love? there are always fucking obstacles / choices -- i think Pat Benatar says it best, "love is battlefield!" :) hahaha! it fucking is though. it's a push and pull... and believe me, i've had many wide-eyed moments where i'm like, 'fuck The Brother and i are doomed' because we came out of the heartache of another. ahhhhhhhhhhhhh! jesus... is anyone as fucking insane as i am? and anonymous, who the fuck is anonymous this time?

 
At 3:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

miss curious, you need a vacation. i am not talking about a weekend excursion to visit family or friends.. i am talking about a trip, you tripper.. something emulating the motorcycle diaries with a splash of national lampoon's euro...
stop giving yourself that daily dosage of insanity and find an alternative context you and the brother can share. like you know.. your mutual interests... otherwise, it's a filler. for the both of ya's...

 
At 4:49 PM, Blogger jen said...

I wonder who anonymous is?

Anyway- about your wife midge. I thought he was a bit shy and/or reserved, didn't read the actions as rude. But then again, maybe I was the rude one since he didn't know anyone and I didn't really make an effort to converse either, right?

And, I think we all have weird reactions to social situations sometimes. The whole time I was freaking out and nervous because I haven't hung out socially with Graham in a long time and didn't want him to act weird around anyone. So I guess we're all caught up in our own little dramas.

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger MissCurious said...

Anonymous –
First, wow, I’m writing a’lotta responses today… clearly work is SLOW!!!
Anyway, it’s totally known that I’m a tripper… a vacation won’t help that unfortunately… although it might sound like I take myself seriously, I really poke a whole ‘lotta fun at myself…. Blogging takes one thought and makes it obsessive for the sake of an entertaining read… you know, feeling better about yourself because it seems as though this blogger MissCurious is more crazy than you… but hey, I recognize my insanity, hahaha… and isn’t that the first step?
Also, I’m not certain what you mean about “fillers” for each other? I’m totally into him and this ex-girlfriend thing is definitely a bummer, and I can completely empathize with her… but should he and I break up because I feel bad that she was hurt? Guess that doesn’t make much sense… ultimately, he and I really get along… he digs my crazy over-analytical self, and I completely dig his.
Still wish I knew this anonymous!

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger MissCurious said...

J-Do,

first off, you and the boy did EXTREMELY well... it seemed really natural... the two of you had a good chemistry... I was happy for the both of you!
About the wife... I wouldn't have sweat the headphones thing if more people were there and had been kinda all over doing their things... but to me, it was as though 4-5 peeps were sitting at a dinner table and one of them just suddenly puts his or her headphones on... none of you saw this because when i saw him taking it out, i whispered to him that i didn't think it was the best idea. the thing that got me was that he got so pissed at me for even telling him that it wasn't the best idea... then neither of us could see the other person's point of view... to me, i thought it was relatively rude in the context, and he felt that i should have understood that he didn't feel like being social... hahaha, of course i have an argument for everything, i mentioned that why go to a social event if you don't feel like being social... he really didn't have to go, he really didn't... no one pressured him and he owed nothing to no one. lalalalalala... i just keep talking and talking... ultimately, sure i can see where he's coming from, i just got mad that he couldn't see where i was coming from.

 
At 9:41 PM, Blogger jen said...

ha ha,

funny that you thought things went well with "the boy"...because I did too. Funny, cause, he packed up his bags today and left. Probably for good. I guess female intution failed us both?

hope to see you soon, gotta at least keep up with your hairstyles!

 
At 8:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes my fiancé says really inappropriate things, like when my sister asked where her 7 month old baby was and he said "In the hot tub."
When I tell him to shut up it only makes it worse. He keeps talkin' shit AND he gets pissed at me. So I just stopped telling him to shut up because he's the one who is going to have to deal with the consequences.
She’s rude too, so who cares what she or anyone else thinks? We all have our things.

-Anonymous Wendi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home