Friday, July 28, 2006

What Are the Odds?

I’ve quoted this from I Heart the Huckabees once before, “The African guy is a sign, right? Because if he isn't, than nothing in this world makes any sense to me. I'm fucked!” We’re always looking for things to mean something… that things aren’t just coincidence… that me seeing that guy from college at huge stadiums in L.A. and Oakland and here and there actually meant something… but really, it’s nothing. I haven’t seen him since. I don’t care one way or another.

So, bumping into my Brazilian neighbor in the elevator that night with 5th Paragraph and inviting him to hang out with us was cool… I had seen him maybe once before… there are around 80 people in my building… and then, the other night, he just happened to come home to go to the bathroom (he’s a cab driver) for just a minute at the exact same time I was hopping out of a cab coming home. No biggie… just chance… and then oddly, last night I went to dinner with my boss and a co-worker downtown, far from home… we hop in a cab and start driving away… I then notice that out of 1,600 cabs in San Francisco, I hopped into the Brazilian’s (my neighbor - and just to clarify, he has an adorable face, but I am 10 times his size, so not attracted to him at all).

Does it mean anything? Probably not. But it was just trippy. I remember on my birthday a couple of weeks ago, 5th Paragraph was all tripped out because he’d hailed a cab, and it happened to be his sister’s Brazilian husband… 5th Paragraph’s house is totally out of the way… just complete chance.

Weird.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home