Wednesday, September 13, 2006

It Happened Overnight

I’d say this happened in record time. Relatively unexpected. Miss Curious is getting the stir she wanted. The stir with a boy.

A few days ago I was researching the derivation of a certain word. Coincidentally, the root of this word is Kansas’ last name (I’ll explain why I chose this name shortly). I then began to wonder what he was doing these days. Was he still in California?

Just over 2 years ago, I decided to dabble in the world of online dating for the very first time. At that point, Midge and I did everything together, so we signed up for 1 month of Match.com (embarrassing, I know). I met 2 people. One was moving here from Kansas (he was my 100% match per Match.com). He had a job out here, but wasn’t starting for a while. We talked on the phone every night for about a month and a half. Then he came into town to look for a place to live and meet with his employers, etc before moving in another month or so.

It was then that we met face to face. Things went really well. Since I’m a slut, we of course hooked up. That part is a tad nebulous as we’d had quite a few margaritas to assuage our nerves.

That was the last time we saw each other.

When he moved out here, he was really unhappy, and I was just in a weird spot in general (oh surprise!)… the confidence I was attracted to had left him when he moved… and we just lost touch.

Soooo, where oh where do we reconnect?!?!? I MySpaced him… he replied right away… we sent a couple messages, catching up with each other… he requested me as a friend (so my friends, ask me his name, and you can check him out)… he told me to give him a call… gave me his new number… I gave him mine.

And then who calls me last night at 10:30 pm, the same day!??!?! HE DOES. I did NOT see that coming… I thought the exchange of numbers was merely a courteous gesture.

I was surprised at how well he knew me… I suppose I’d forgotten how much we had talked and revealed about ourselves during our correspondence 2 years ago. It was nice.

Kansas, “I must say that getting an email from you made my day. It truly lifted my spirits.”

Miss Curious, “hahaha. Yeah, I bet I made your day. Whatever!”

Kansas, “I know the cheesiness of that statement is leading you to believe it’s disingenuous, and you’re really not sure if you should believe me… but you should… because I mean it.”

I was slightly taken aback by his candor. It was kinda’ sweet. But I was/am weary of his immediate attentiveness… a call the same night… all these heartfelt nostalgic statements. I remember 2 years ago that while I loved speaking with him and was indeed attracted to him, the jury was still out on whether or not he could kick my ass… and also his world views were somewhat narrow… and not opinions on politics, but just an awareness that there is a world outside of the United States... To have the ability to see beyond ourselves (my blog most likely doesn’t reflect the fact that I often think geocentrically instead of egocentrically)… so it is important to me.

But anyway, that’s just the back-story. I do believe that we will hang out soon.

Our last words:

Miss Curious
, “okay gotta run… it’s late.”

Kansas, “oh, I see how it is.”

Miss Curious, “no, that’s not how it is… I could talk to you all night, so it’s gotta’ end somewhere. I’m sure we’ll talk soon enough”

Kansas, “will you be calling me next?”

Miss Curious, “yeah,” pause “yeah.”

Kansas, quiet… “Okay, why don’t you call me when I’m on your mind.”

He said that final thought in a piercing way… if that makes any sense… hmm… in a way where he hoped that he would be on my mind.

1 Comments:

At 1:42 PM, Blogger jen said...

Wow. You are such a rock star. Can't wait for the next chapter!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home